Thursday 17 April 2014

All In The Name Of Profit.

It's all in the name of profit.

WHEN THE TIME-BOMB GOES OFF.

The bike just sits there,
dust covering its lovely sheen,
puffing up the Fintry Hills
well,   it's no longer my scene.
Y'see,   as a Clydeside apprentice
I proudly learnt the tradesman's skill,
little did I know then
the price,    asbestos lungs that kill.
Now I just sit through the painful day
gasping each mouthful of air, wondering
how can I make the bastards pay.
They knew it was a killer
a time-bomb in our lungs
but,  because it was so quick and cheap
they firmly held their tongues.
So what,  if it cost the workman's life,
there's always a couple of new workers
in the care of the worker's wife.
Please try to understand my anger
as I and others bear their cost,
a slow death from asbestos lungs,
a vibrant life lost.
Anguish for family and friends,
all in the name of profit:
now that really does offend.
Our anger without direction
is like a blind archer behind the bow,
we have to use our anger
to smash the status-quo.
Perhaps making my dying public,
might provoke righteous indignation
at a system that puts profit
before the health of a nation.

Visit ann arky's home at www.radicalglasgow.me.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment